Blogging and Feed Readers, Oh My!
Welcome Readers!!
Blogging is a new experience for me, so join me on my
journey. I wasn’t even sure where to begin or how to keep up with my life,
writing blog entries, or even following other bloggers. Thankfully, I was
pointed in the right direction with the introduction to feed readers. A feed reader is basically a program that
gathers and displays web feeds from various websites in one place, thus telling
up when things are updated instead of you having to find each page daily to see
if there is anything new, thus saving you ample time. Now, don’t get me wrong, I have not found any
feed reader to be perfect or meet my expectations either, but then again I wasn’t
sure what exactly I was looking for. I went into my search with one
expectation: easy to use! Now, with that said, there are some takeaways I want
to share with you. If you are looking at finding your own way to keep up with
the world of Blogs before you even begin to look at feed readers decide what is
important to you, so you have a checklist of expectations, maybe have more than
my one. You live, you learn!
Let me begin with my feed reader of choice. I am a huge Pinterest
fan, so when I saw Bloglovin’ had a Pinterest like feel, this made it a
contender in my search. Bloglovin’ besides having a name that reminds me of my
favorite movie Grease, thinks of the song, “Summer Lovin’.” Now that you have
that song stuck in your head….besides visual similarities to Pinterest, it was easy
to follow new blogs and it also track other hobbies you may have. I enjoy cooking and baking, so anything
recipe or kitchen gadget related sparks my interest. Plus, now I have another
place to search for new recipes and keep them handy for future reference. I also enjoy motivational quotes and anything
I can find to help my teachers' mental health, especially after the year we are
faced with. Bloglovin’ was great for this as it allows you the ability to
create different collections/folders. This was great to fit the many hats of
educators as well as businesses and students. This feed reader also lets you
link your social media accounts: Twitter, Google, Facebook, Pinterest, to their
site so everything is followed in one place, great quality for people on the
go!
There are some downfalls, which some could just be lack of
user knowledge. I did not like the fact that I had to sign up for the free account
and pick something to follow before I could even look around as to what to
expect. However, I found this to also be the case for a number of other feed
reader sites I tried. The search bar is also sketchy. When I try to search a
topic of interest, I have to rephrase what I want multiple times using variations of the word
before I get any results. It reminds me of a research paper or assigning keywords when cataloging. Once I got the
hang of how the search engine worked it wasn’t so bad, but not as simple as a
google search. Another thing I just realized is when I go to my followings
there is no way to know if anything has been updated, it seems more like a
place to store information in an orderly manner. Hopefully, it is only because I
don’t know enough about how to work Bloglovin’ just yet.
Now, Bloglovin’ may not be for everyone. I did try a few others,
but my experience was short-lived. I ended up signing up for four different
feed readers because many of them wouldn’t let me preview all aspects of what
was available if at all. Once I signed up I was able to navigate and get a
better feeling. At first, I tried, The Old Reader. This seemed like a tried
and true method from the description, but I found it was not user friendly,
especially for someone who didn’t even know what they were looking at, plus
they were only available on the web, there was no app option. I then attempted NewsBlur as I wanted help filtering out
the unwanted stuff, I thought of it like filtering out my email. However I met
Ted, I think that is what his name was, a robot that was helping set up my
account. He wanted me to answer questions to help weed out what I didn’t want.
For a newbie that was too hard for me, as I didn’t and still don’t know exactly
what I am looking for in a feed reader,
so I didn’t want to narrow myself down so quickly.
As I begin to dig more into this whole blogging things, I
want to highlight some blogs I do follow in case you are looking for more
inspiration in your blogging world:
One great blogger to follow that I have found is Gwyneth
Jones, The Daring Librarian. She can be found on Twitter @GwynethJones or her
blog at: https://www.thedaringlibrarian.com/.
She sounds like a fantastic librarian from just the first few posts I have read.
Helpful and ready to share her ideas with others! I loved her blog from the
start. It gives you a short description of what the blog is about and you can
pick if you want to continue reading that particular post or move on to another
post. I haven’t seen that on any other blog before. A great way to pick and
choose what to read. However, to be honest I read all that I saw at first
glance. Gwyneth has a sassy, no-nonsense way of writing, it was refreshing to
read a blog that was honest, “I am sorry I can’t troubleshoot for you. Mostly
because I am lazy.” She poured her heart into providing resources and sharing
her knowledge but she isn’t going to help others further than giving them a
playbook, which I find admirable. One drawback is some of her posts are
specific to her campus or school district but I still found them enjoyable to
read and learn from how another librarian or even district runs their library
program.
A second blog that caught my attention was Mrs. J in the
library. I first liked the play on words it had me thinking about the game
Clue. Mrs. J in the library with the candlestick. Not what happened but it got
my attention! This blog is organized and searchable by topic which is a win in
my book! Searchable blogs are great for getting ideas on a certain aspect in the library or technology, click the keywords and it will bring you to all the
posts about that topic. Mrs. J also has a page on TPT, she links her
merchandise to her blog posts as well. This can be distracting, but I don’t
blame her for self-promotion. I also chose to follow Mrs. J because she focuses
on lower elementary. Since I am in a building of PK and K students I wanted
someone who may be someone I can share ideas with and understand the neediness
of 4-5-year-olds. If this blog sounds interesting to you, you can follow Mrs. J
here: https://mrsjinthelibrary.com/blog/.
Another interesting blog with a unique point of view is
Musings About Librarianship. This blog written by Aaron Tay takes a quite
different approach from my previous blog recommendations. Mr. Tay is more
focused on the back end of librarianship, the research, technology, Boolean Queries,
and tips and tricks. Though his blog is written in a more professional manner,
his personality still shines, he adds little glimmers of his life throughout
his posts making him feel like an acquaintance. Mr. Tay is writing out of Singapore,
it is interesting to see how things work differently there. His more recent
posts deal with COVID in Singapore and how the library has shifted with their
soft lockdown, or “circuit breaker” as they call it. His blog is very
educational but easy to follow, it doesn’t feel like you are reading a textbook. You can follow him using the link: http://musingsaboutlibrarianship.blogspot.com/.
Another blog I started to follow is Library Grits. Upon initial
inspection I found Dianne McKenzie’s writing hooked me immediately. I was hooked
her first post before I even knew if I liked the general concept of the blog. I had to keep reading and find out what had
happened when she made a simple comment on Facebook. Her experience though
frightful, happens more than we care to admit. I am overly cautious at how I
word things on public Facebook posts because your audience doesn’t know you and
you don’t know how they will respond. I believe she did the noble thing
standing up for the unknown female and saying how dangerous it was to just
throw out information about a strange on a public forum like that. Without
knowing background information on the poster or their relationship or lack thereof.
Anyways, I appreciate her spinning her experience into a lesson on Cyber
Bullying. This is a topic that is never taught enough. It is so easy for anyone
behind a screen to bully and belittle others. If you would like to follow
Dianne or learn more about the post I am referring to you can find it here: http://librarygrits.blogspot.com/.
I am starting to sense a pattern for what types of blogs I
am looking for, what interests me, and what is something I will want to continue
to get updates on. I began following Ms. O Reads Books at http://www.msoreadsbooks.com/. The
design layout is exceptional but her posts are REAL! Her most recent post that
hooked me before I even took a deeper look was her splurge on Teachers Pay
Teachers (TPT). I know, I know, this is NOT the best way to get your teaching
material, but Ms. O is able to provide great evidence that while she spent a
lot of unnecessary money, to her it was necessary. For this school year our lives
are already stressful with COVID, plus add in managing your health while back
on campus, or managing your life while teaching remotely trying to take care of
your own kids who are also learning virtually is A LOT on anyone’s plate! Sometimes, a rescue
is needed! Remember, our mental health and wellbeing is important too. Like Ms.
O says, “this is a just a headstart and now I can tweak until my heart is
content.” Looking through her older posts her posts have slowed down in recent
years, but her content is still relevant from previous years.
I hope I have helped clear up any confusion you had or at
least made you laugh at my own learning process. Remember this, teaching is a
marathon, not a sprint. We pick up ideas along the way, we learn through
various improvements to technology and new curriculum, and though our goals may
keep changing as we grow and learn. The reason we are running this marathon
remains the same. We do what is best to give our students the best we have for
the betterment of them!
Readers, what feed reader do you use, if any?
*I am also on Tumblr, reach out to me to make connections! https://www.tumblr.com/blog/mrsmeierreads
Hi Taryn, your blog was so much fun to read, huge Grease fan here as well! I follow The Daring Librarian and enjoy her blog too. You gave a great description for the other blogs you follow I will definitely check them out. I did happen to come across Ms. O Reads but I didn't take the time to read any of her blogs or look through her content. Thank you for sharing!
ReplyDeleteAww, thank you! Just keeping it real, life is more fun that way! =)
DeleteI have been using Bloglovin' for a few years and love it. I mostly follow English teachers and authors on there. It provides me quick, easy reading in all of my free time- LOL! Thanks for sharing the blogs that you found. I am most excited about following Mrs. J in the Library. Off to add them to my feed reader now.
ReplyDeleteHi, Taryn! I loved the thoroughness of your blog. I liked Bloglovin' also, I ended up liking Feedly a bit more. Your blog, however, convinced me to look at Bloglovin' again and see if I will end up liking it better. Thank you for such a detailed entry!
ReplyDeleteThat is interesting your comment about Bloglovin as I thought it was strange having to follow accounts as you're getting started. The blogging has been an enjoyable experience this semester and I think this is one of the great tools!
ReplyDelete