The Social Media Craze
Welcome Back, Readers!
Y’all, I have outdone myself this week! It may not seem like
much to those of you familiar with all the techy stuff but I have crossed a
threshold I did not EVER plan on crossing. That’s right, I got me an Insta! That is what all the youngins’ are calling
it right? Now bear with me a moment. I am not old or out of touch with
technology, or so I like to think; I
really just didn’t want one more thing to distract me during my nonworking time:
my husband and kids. I have enough life distractions between work, school, my
school-aged children, a baby learning to walk, two dogs, and my husband who is
also a teacher! Every minute of the day is scheduled and accounted for.
Now, hold on tight,
while I explain my experience with Instagram. From the outside, Instagram
is exactly what I thought of it would be, a time sucker. Instagram, in my
opinion, has always been, “a Facebook with fewer words and people-to-people
interaction.” Through actual hands-on exploration, I realize I was somewhat
wrong. Instagram does allow interaction but because it is geared more towards a
younger, hipper demographic, it doesn’t attract the people I connect with most:
my aunts, uncles, parents, and grandparents; I know I am cool like that! However, it is and will be a great way to “meet”
new faces.
Instagram will be a great way to help advertise for my own
school library when the opportunity knocks. I immediately thought of Book
Fairs, another great place to advertise. Show book covers, a sneak peek of the
library décor, host challenges, or even prizes available with each purchase,
just show the Instagram post! Instagram can also be used to easily highlight
read aloud, virtual Author Visits, bulletin boards, Author studies, or
Makerspace within the library or focus on activities that are occurring on a daily
basis to keep promoting your library. My biggest piece of advice which was told
me to me by a fellow library friend, keep your Instagram consistent, post at
least once a day, and keep a Google Note of hashtags you frequently use so
you can copy and paste…..um, yes=TIMESAVER! Beware, from what I have heard once
you get started on Instagram you will be posting way more than once a day! Don’t
say I didn’t warn you! =)
One good thing about Instagram is you are able to post to
Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr at the same time you post to Instagram, so
hitting all platforms at the same time. That is a great win unless you are
like me and can’t recall any of your passwords to connect them to the app….then
it isn’t so great.
Please feel free to follow me on Instagram: instagram.com/taryn.meier.
I have taken the plunge and created a “my story”, or video about my campus
library what it looks like now during the Pandemic. Let me warn you, the video
stops abruptly. It was two frames worth of video when it was posted but now it
only shows one, who knows what happened to the second part. I have also
included pictures of how I used the Library Makerspace time pre-pandemic.
Unfortunately, it is not safe to have Makerspace during this pandemic.
If you were able to follow me through my Instagram adventure,
hats off to you! I should have warned you
to buckle up! Hopefully, the ride was only bumpy on my end. Shout out to my
coworker, Mrs. Pickett who had to explain things like how to make a video on
Instagram, yep that was me, you live you learn!
So, what about Facebook? I know my way around Facebook, it’s
my JAM! This was popular while I was in college the first time in the early 2000s and though I do believe it has hit its peak and is on the decline,
there are still many happy users. My grandparents for one! So yes, the clientele
is a little older than that of Instagram. Facebook for me, since my family
lives so far away from me in North Dakota. Facebook allows us a quick and easy way
to see what is going on in each other’s lives through pictures and it is the
best way to get updates on my nieces and nephews and all their sports and
activities.
Facebook has some great features that not only help us
socially but also, can help you connect your school, library, or even your business
with others who are interested in those same things. I follow several groups
that allow you to post privately to group members or publicly, depending on the
setting you have selected. This is a great way to connect with select groups of
people or people who have the same interest; my personal favorite is recipe
groups! I do however a follower of our local community library to keep up to
the date of and classes they may be holding or children’s activities that will
be taking place. School libraries can also use Facebook. They
can set up their own school page and post new book cover teasers, post QR
code scavenger hunts, hold online book discussions, or post information about
upcoming events and use Facebook to invite others. I look forward to doing this
when I am back in a Library role again. There are some disadvantages of
Facebook, parents would have to have an account, and with the age discrepancy of
Facebook users this may be an issue as the age of our parents are getting younger
so they prefer other forms of social media. Another disadvantage would be
locating the Facebook page, this would mean parents and/or students would have
to know the exact name of the page or search through a large assortment of
pages to find what they are looking for.
Another great social media platform I MUST mention is Twitter. I have grown to love this platform, mainly for its limited characters. This makes it easy to quickly read through posts, like, and share. Twitter has helped me build my professional learning network, as well as get more ideas and learn from others. Twitter has many advantages, self-promotion is easily accomplished. In today's age, we need to be proud of what we know and willing to share our knowledge with others to make our county move ahead.
Let me introduce you to a few excellent people to follow. First, @lbraun2000. Linda W. Braun is a great person to follow. Her Twitter is full of useful professional articles to read, suggestions. She recently wrote an article for School Library Journal and shares this information. A downside is with over 4,000 followers her like, share, and the comment section is still low interaction.
Another great person to follow is Jim Lerman @jimlerman. He often posts helpful information to expand your learning and keep you up to date. Most of his posts will require you to click and will open a link to read the actual article. He may not write all the material he shares himself, but he believes in sharing great information that will be helpful to others. One drawback is looking at the example below he has not gotten any likes, comments, or shares. With over one thousand followers I would expect more people would have found this information helpful.The last Twitter guru I want to mention is Kathy Schrock. You can follow her on Twitter @kathyschrock. She promotes her upcoming presentations as well as new findings. She tweeted recently, September 1st about Rockwell Schrock's Boolean Machine and provided the link. This is also able to embed to your own site! Her pinned post also promotes the four different websites she controls. She is a technology self-proclaimed "Geek". I admire technology geeks, I aspire to be one, I just need to get over my own fear of failure.
There you have it, folks! I may not be 100% on my social
media game, but I will do just about anything to promote my student's love of
reading. Even if that means learning how
to Instagram, creating a Facebook page to promote our Library events and book
fairs, or even as simple as Tweeting out reminders. Until next time, keep
reading!
One last time…..Let me try this Tumblr thing again, some
people were having trouble last time, I think I got this link set up correctly
now.
*I am also on Tumblr, reach out to me to make connections: mrsmeierreads.tumblr.com
Congratulations on your plunge into Instagram. While it may seem like it's more for the younger crowd, I promise that you can find many great educators to follow. At times it can be a little overwhelming because there are some many great ideas to try, but it's definitely a great place for inspiration and makes for easy scrolling.
ReplyDeleteI also enjoyed the quick pace of Twitter! I was surprised at how much information I was able to gain in such little time. I noticed a few accounts had not been very active recently or had little engagement going on. I was curious as to why and what could be done to encourage more followers and activity on Twitter.
ReplyDeleteTaryn,
ReplyDeleteSo I feel the same way about Instagram as you described. I didn’t want to take time away from priorities aka family. However, after reading your post, I might need to give Instagram another look. When exploring the app, I did not discover that you can simultaneously post to all three social media applications at the same time for Instagram. Thanks for sharing!
You have a lot of great information regarding social media! I think that it can be a great tool, but can also be challenging finding the right niche for you, your library program and patrons!
ReplyDeleteI am proud of you getting an insta! As intimidating as social media can be, it really can be such an educational tool. My first year of teaching I followed many other teachers on social media and got a lot of good ideas and resources!
ReplyDelete