Video and QR Codes in the Library

 

Welcome Back to Mrs. Meier's Marvelous Reads! 

YouTube has many great things to offer. From uploading your own videos for students to saving other's videos to your own channel for easy access. This came in super helpful when planning videos that would work with the story of the week. Having students in a class for 55 minutes for a Library rotation takes creativity. Opening a lesson with a song greeting, reviewing a popular nursery rhyme or song to introduce the story, and closing with an interactive dance to get the students up and moving. Having the videos saved in one location helps alleviate additional time needed to relook up the material. 

Here are some great videos from some fellow Library YouTube channels:

The Unquiet Library has some very helpful videos, though the videos are aged and not fancy, they still get the job done and the topics remain relevant. This librarian has developed many videos that offer an array of help such as, Advanced Fickr Search Tips and Help.

Calypso Gilstrap also serves a helpful purpose in their videos. They are aged 4-5 years and they offer very little videos they do a good job of providing resources to their students with "How To" videos. One of my favorites that students will enjoy is Tiger Visits the Norman High Library. It is fun to see the "lighter" side of the library. 

Pikesville HS Library this channel has A LOT to offer! These videos, often created by students, highlight important upcoming events, past events, or the school in general. They also use their channel to store video responses or highlight classes with little promos. What Should Teachers Know is a great series of student responses to gain insight into what the staff should know about what the students really are thinking. 

BBMS MediaStudents at this school are so creative! I spent too long previewing videos on this channel. All the parodies they have created as reminders are so catchy! The students at this school are working on being YouTube stars. Check out Green Guy

Here are two of my favorites on Overdue Books. 




Animoto can be so fun! I had to watch many of the free templates to see how cute Animoto videos can be! This tool can seriously drain some hours of your time, but it was fun to play around and see what you can do! I did sign up for the educator's account to get beyond the 30 second time limit the free account allows. One downside was I didn’t see some of the bells and whistles I was looking for when I tried to create my book trailer. I wanted to show a picture then zoom in to a particular part of the picture. Another drawback was the example showed an object falling from the top of the video frame, I wanted to duplicate that with pumpkins falling, but I wasn’t given the option, nor could I find an area to add anything like that. I don’t know if I just wasn’t looking in the right place or you cannot make cool things like that without upgrading the account. My end result was not as professional looking at some of the examples I previewed, but it will work well for my young children and families to entice them to check out Spookley the Square Pumpkin!

The Legend of Spookley the Square Pumpkin by Joe Troiano, Illustrated by Susan Banta. “One day in the pumpkin patch the strangest little pumpkin hatched....Spookley the Pumpkin was different. All the other pumpkins teased him until Spookley proved that being different can save the day!” Scan the QR code below to see my book trailer! 



QR Codes if you have never heard of QR codes this could be life-changing! QR, short for Quick Response, simply take pieces of information to transmit media to your cell phone or tablet. This can be great for library use. Students can create book trailers to help other students choose their book, for the younger students you could create QR codes to supplement their reading with link to the book being read aloud online. QR code scavenger hunts can also be used to introduce students to various sections of the library. If your school is virtual you can easily take a video of your school library and post the QR code to the Library website to help the students get better acquainted before they even step foot on campus. The uses are endless! 




Comments

  1. I have not read The Legend of Spookley the Square Pumpkin, but after watching your trailer I am thinking this would be a great book to share next week as part of an SEL lesson. It ties into Halloween and a discussion on valuing our differences. Thanks for the share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. Meier,
    I enjoyed reading the descriptions you gave foe each of the YouTube channels. I loved seeing the Frozen Overdue book video, it was very entertaining. I really enjoyed seeing the book trailer for The Legend of Spookley the Square Pumpkin. I want to find the book so I can read to my students. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Taryn! Your book trailer made me want to read the book to my students. Spookley's story is classic. Even my older kids can relate to wanting to belong, or to be "normal."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your presentation! The trailer is very engaging! I loved learning how to create and use QR codes! Students and staff find them easy to use and I think it keeps with the times of the technology world!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful book trailer! Students would get so excited to read this book after watching! Book trailers are such a great way to hook readers into checking out a book!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Infographics

Texas Reading Lists!

The Canyon's Edge