The Silver Lining is yet to come


 Readers,

I love to read, I hope I have made that clear to you through this blog. I love to get lost in a book, lost in the sense that I forget I am just sitting on my couch or curled up in my comfy chair reading a book. I want to feel the emotions the characters are going through, I want to be "in" the book. Books are my escape from reality, my mini-vacations, my getaways, my scraps, my wounds, my sorrows, my joys. But sometimes, this feeling just doesn't happen easily. 

After reading many, MANY rave reviews about Daniel Nayeri's book "Everything Sad is Untrue" I was intrigued. But, I must be honest, I am struggling to stay focused. Now, to be fair, I am NOT giving up on this book, but I need my mindset to be in the right place. 

My family currently has a close family member who is having some health issues and has been in and out of the hospital in the last two weeks and has now been admitted again. I find it hard for me to read when my mind isn't "in the game". I was able to read a different book for leisure that wasn't as intense, it didn't require my full attention to still understand the story. 

Part of my focus issue stems from the lack of chapters. I try to pace myself while I read, summarize what has occurred after each chapter to make sure I am paying attention. -Have you ever caught yourself "reading" turning the pages but really more daydreaming and you have no idea what you just read? That is where my mindset was during this book over the weekend.- I must get over this. I have trained myself to complete a chapter before moving on to whatever is next on my list: making lunch or dinner, waking the kids up from their nap, working out, cleaning, whatever the task at hand may be. Without chapters I feel I am forced, in a good way, to read the book in one sitting. I want to get lost in the story, I want to hear about Daniel's experiences, I want to learn. 

I am not giving up on Daniel, I am putting this book back on top of my stack and will give it another go soon. Does anyone have any advice on how to STOP the brain from thinking about everything so I can focus and enjoy this book? 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Infographics

Texas Reading Lists!

The Canyon's Edge