Black Brother, Black Brother
Greetings Readers!
My first read of the Lone Star Reading List:
Black Brother, Black Brother by Jewell Parker Rhodes. This book does not disappoint! **** I had no problem getting lost in the pages of this book from the beginning, which are my favorite types of books.
Trey and Donte, Trey and Donte....I want to be in their family. The bond, these two brothers have is AMAZING! Trey and Donte are brothers, not twins. They are both interracial, Mom is black and of African descent; Dad is white and of Norwegian descent. Donte looks black and Trey looks white. People wouldn't even know they were brothers.
This book was soo good! So many topics were discussed: racism, the justice system, fairness, mindset, relationships, forgiveness, persistence, and hope. There were many times while reading the book I wanted to give Donte a hug and tell him how sorry I was for people treating him this way, I wanted to stand up to his Headmaster, his teachers, and the students who were too scared to say anything. It just makes my heart hurt. And yet, it happens daily to students of all colors and ethnicities. The author, Jewell Parker Rhodes, does a great job of digging deeper into Donte's feelings and not masking his emotions. Though Donte is a "hot head" he is able to control himself, even though inside he is fuming and ready to explode like a volcano.
Donte is able to turn his anger, frustrations, and now community service hours into his new "sport" fencing. Donte never saw himself as a sporty guy, that was Trey's business. But he really enjoys fencing and he is good at it. Can Donte learn to move beyond getting revenge on Alan and focus on doing his best with his new passion?

Comments
Post a Comment