Favorite Genre?
Hey Readers!
I hope you have been out enjoying a wonderful summer! I was able to unplug and read until my heart was content, minus the interruptions from my children, but I am not complaining! "One day you will miss this," that is what people keep telling me, so I will trust the "people" and enjoy their interruptions, soon I will be begging them to talk to me!
Like I said, I have been doing some reading just for pleasure this summer (and it was wonderful), but I ran across a 'problem' if you will. Why do I only read specific types of books? I did throw in a few professional books, but they were not the "joy" of my other books. I typically reach for realistic fiction books. I did add a few graphic novels into the mix, just because they are a quick read and I know my children LOVE graphic novels. How can I stretch my own pleasure reading to encompass various genres?
Just a few quick thoughts:
Science Fiction....why do these types of books not interest me? My middle child, who is eight, even pointed out how come our family doesn't watch Star Wars or Star Trek like other families do. (Her friend is huge Star Wars fan.) I guess I nevertook interest into any Sci-Fi type things. Am I holding my children back? Is my, and my husband's, lack of interest in Sci-Fi holding my children back from enjoying them?
Fantasy.....well sign me up for any Disney movie because I have probably seen them all at least to date. However, I also grew up with a family of all girls and I have three girls of my own, so the color pink, glitter, and Disney just kind of explode from the walls of the house. I do not mind reading fantasy books, but I do find that it takes a special state of mind to keep me focused.
Horror....now this I can get behind if they are like Goosebumps horror books. Just like horror movies, too much and I won't sleep for a week. I can't imagine setting my own pace and reading page by page all the gory details. But then again, I do enjoy watching Dr. Pimple Popper. That is pretty gross in its self.
Just some thoughts that are in my head today. I didn't cover all the genres as that would get pretty boring. But tell me, what types of books do you like to read for pleasure?

Comments
Post a Comment